Re: Disabling triggers with psql (gforge 7.4 to 8.2 migration)

From: Iñigo Martinez Lasala <imartinez(at)vectorsf(dot)com>
To: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disabling triggers with psql (gforge 7.4 to 8.2 migration)
Date: 2010-02-11 09:17:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Josh.

I have followed your suggestion and restored bad tables into a file.
This has shortened the conversion process since I've only restored to
file bad chars tables, and only 8 showed this issue. So, instead of
having to fix full dump (about 45G) I only had to process 10MB (8
tables). This is what I've done:

- Dump schema, fix it in order to accomodate to postgres 8.2, and import
into database via psql.
- Dump data and import into database via pg_restore with triggers
disabled.

pg_dump -f gforge-database.dmp -Fc -a -O --disable-triggers -x -E utf-8
-U gforge -h 192.168.7.54 gforge -W
pg_restore -Fc -a -O --disable-triggers -x -U gforge -d gforge
gforge-database.dmp 2>import-error.log

- Locate in import-log what tables have problem (8 in my import9.
- Restore bad tables into plain text files:

pg_restore -t artifact ../gforge.dmp > artifact.dmp
pg_restore -t artifact_history ../gforge.dmp > artifact_history.dmp
pg_restore -t artifact_idx ../gforge.dmp > artifact_idx.dmp
pg_restore -t doc_data_idx ../gforge.dmp > doc_data_idx.dmp
pg_restore -t frs_release_idx ../gforge.dmp > frs_release_idx.dmp
pg_restore -t groups_idx ../gforge.dmp > groups_idx.dmp
pg_restore -t project_task_idx ../gforge.dmp > project_task_idx.dmp
pg_restore -t users_idx ../gforge.dmp > users_idx.dmp

- Modify each dump file, changing set client enconding from UTF-8 to
ISO-8859-1 (it appears that this was my problem, ISO-8859-1 chars in
database that had not been properly converted to UTF-8)
SET client_encoding = 'UTF8';

Alternatively, you could user iconv in order to eliminate bad chars
(iconv -f utf-8 -t utf-8 -c -f table_exported.dmp >
table_exported_fixed.dmp). But truncating bad chars could lead to errors
when importing since some registers could become NULL registers and fail
on import.

- Import each table DISABLING TRIGERS temporary
(add ALTER TABLE tablename DISABLE TRIGGER ALL; at beginning and ALTER
TABLE tablename ENABLE TRIGGER ALL; at the end).

Et voila. Import finished.

Thank you very much to all for your suggestions. They have been very
useful for me.