Full text search

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Full text search
Date: 2010-02-11 01:15:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am trying to implement a DW type database which should allow its users
to do text searches for words and phrases. I am having problems with
searching for phrases. For instance, when I am looking for "chicken
salad", I don't want to get back something like "fried chicken with
potato salad". Most commercial text search engines can do that. Apache
Lucene can also do that. At the moment, PostgreSQL engine cannot do
that, which is a show stopper for me. I am aware of the tricks like
lower(field) like '%chicken salad%' but that slows things down, and
makes my life miserable because I have to add a pre-processor to the
form which has to write the FTS query. Now, is a feature like that
planned for version 9? Is there anybody I could ask for a timeframe?
Thanks for any help.
--
Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA