Re: Hot Standby and VACUUM FULL

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hot Standby and VACUUM FULL
Date: 2010-02-01 08:54:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > I'll do a little work towards step (1) just so we can take a more
> > informed view once you've had a better look at just what (2) involves.
>
> I spent a couple of hours reading code and believe that I've identified
> all the pain points for allowing relocation of system catalogs (ie,
> assigning them new relfilenodes during cluster-style VACUUM FULL,
> REINDEX, etc). It's definitely not a trivial project but it's not out
> of reach either --- I estimate I could get it done in a couple or three
> days of full-time effort. Given the potential benefits I think it's
> worth doing. Rough notes are attached --- comments?

Comments inline.

> Change pg_class.relfilenode to be 0 for all rels for which a map file should
> be used instead. Define RelationGetFilenode() to look to the physaddr info
> instead, and make all internal refs go to that instead of reading
> rd_rel->relfilenode directly.

Yes

> Define pg_relation_filenode(regclass) and fix
> external refs (oid2name, pg_dump) to use that instead.

Not sure why?

> In zeroth cut, just have relcache.c substitute the OID in place of reading
> a map file. Possibly it should always do that during bootstrap.

Yes

> How should bootstrap decide which rels to insert zero for, anyway?
> Shared definitely, pg_class, ... maybe that's enough? Or do we need
> it for all nailed local catalogs?

Only for nailed || shared. My submitted patch covers the "normal"
relations.

Put 0 for rel at boot, write files at boot also.

> local state contains
> * shared map list
> * this database's map list
> * list of local overrides to each on-disk map list
>
> At commit: if modified, write out new version; do this as late as possible
> before xact commit
> At abort: just discard local-override list

Yep

> "Write" must include generating a WAL entry as well as sending a shared-inval
> signal
> * write temp file, fsync it
> * emit WAL record containing copy of new file contents, fsync it
> * atomically rename temp file into place
> * send sinval

Yes

> During relation open, check for sinval before relying on current cached value
> of map contents

Yes

> Hm, what about concurrent updates of map?

Why not have one file per relation that has a map file? No concurrency
issues then at all then.

> Another issue for clustering a catalog is that sinval catcache signalling
> could get confused, since that depends on catalog entry TIDs which would
> change --- we'd likely need to have relocation send an sinval signal saying
> "flush *everything* from that catalog". (relcache inval on the catalog itself
> doesn't do that.)

Yes

> This action could/should be transactional so no
> additional code is needed to propagate the notice to HS standbys.

Agreed

!

> Disallow catalog relocation inside subtransactions, to avoid having
> to handle subxact abort effects on the local-map-changes state.
> This could be implemented if desired, but doesn't seem worth it
> at least in first pass.

Agreed, not needed for emergency maintenance actions like this.

There are issues associated with performing actions on critical tables,
since in some cases I got "relation xxxx is already locked". ISTM we'd
need some special handling of locking in those cases.

Toast tables are also an area of problem because there are dependencies
between tables that need to be mangled.

Please bear in mind that I looked at the code also and came to a similar
original assessment. It was only when I started working with it that I
came to different conclusions.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com