Re: Foreign key quandries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Foreign key quandries
Date: 2003-03-01 18:28:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Seems like this sort of approach is going to introduce a huge amount of
very fragile mechanism, and probably a wide variety of hard-to-reproduce
bugs :-(.

ISTM the only thing we really need to do to address the complaints about
FKs is to invent some kind of sharable row-level lock. Then
transactions adding references to an FK table would take out shared
instead of exclusive locks on PK rows; nothing else changes.

Of course, it's easy to say "sharable row-level lock" and not so easy to
come up with an implementation that has decent performance. But when it
was done, I think we might have some faith that it works. I'm going to
have great difficulty putting any faith at all in an FK implementation
that relies on dirty reads.