Re: Hot Standby: Relation-specific deferred conflict resolution

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hot Standby: Relation-specific deferred conflict resolution
Date: 2010-01-29 10:33:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 11:20 +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 11:10 +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> >
> >> yeah and we keep finding major bugs nearly daily
> >
> > Facts, please?
> >

> 5 seconds of time spent on archives.postgresql.org show at least the
> following SR/HS related bugs in the last 7 days or so:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2010-01/msg00400.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2010-01/msg00410.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2010-01/msg00396.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2010-01/msg00323.php
>
> some of those you might call "minor" but they are bugs and given the
> current rate we are seeing them is imho a clear sign of "code by far not
> stable enough to consider new features that late in the cycle"

I don't think two very minor bugs in Hot Standby, reported and fixed 7
days apart is any indication of instability. It isn't the "daily bugs
reported" you suggested. Personally, I think it indicates quite the
opposite - if those are the only bugs I can find now, I'm ecstatic.

I think your argument does apply to Streaming Rep, at this point. We
should consider releasing Alpha4 and then later going to Beta.

My point of view expressed here is not built in a few seconds, it is
built on discussion and feedback over 18 months. The conflict issue was
discussed by me with hackers at the May 2008 dev meeting. It should be
improved upon in this release and it has been the main issue concerning
the full range of people I have discussed HS with.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com