Re: Wanted: new project slogan

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Michael Alan Brewer <mbrewer(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wanted: new project slogan
Date: 2010-01-28 21:57:50
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 17:53 -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> >> Why do we care?
> >
> > If we don't, then that's not a reason to change. It can't both be a
> > reason to change, and then not a reason to change...
> >
> > (FWIW, I think it's not a reason to change away from what we have now)
>
> I didn't realize that it was the original reason to change, but if it is,
> I think its a pretty lame reason ... I thought we were just looking for
> something new to 'spice things up' a bit ...

Our slogan represents our impression to others. Personally I have no
problem telling everyone that I use the Professionals database (or some
such thing). I don't care that it implies that other databases may not
be.

Others in our community (and I am not saying they are wrong) feel we
should get along.

Both perspectives are valid, it just depends on how we want to get
there. I am more aggressive than most.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.