Re: Update question and SQL question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Steve Lane <slane(at)fmpro(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Update question and SQL question
Date: 2002-07-02 13:54:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Steve Lane <slane(at)fmpro(dot)com> writes:
> NOTICE: Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function
> lookup_name_district
> NOTICE: line 1 at select into variables
> ERROR: record student_rec is unassigned yet

Hm. Could we see a complete example (eg, a runnable psql script to set
up the tables and the function and cause the error)? Trying to fill in
the missing pieces is no fun.

> 2. I thought I had understood the SQL standard to say that using AS when
> making column aliases was always optional,

The spec says that, but AS is always required for a column alias in PG.
See the "Compatibility" discussion on the SELECT reference page.