Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date: 2010-01-19 21:57:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 11:25 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:

> I like that idea. There may be a lot of MySQL people that want to use
> the next postgresql release, and this would make it easier.

I disagree. If they want to use PostgreSQL, they should learn our
syntax. How can you make sure that this will be enough for them? What if
they want more?

I have administrated lots of MySQL server until I started working for
Command Prompt (I still take a look at one once a month, for a
government related thing).

+#define MYSQL_HELP_CHECK(o) \

What if some other people will come up with the idea of adding similar
functionality for their favorite database? The only exception will be
Informix IMHO, because of historical reasons.

So, -1 from me for adding such a support for MySQL's cli commands.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com