Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: David Christensen <david(at)endpoint(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: MySQL-ism help patch for psql
Date: 2010-01-19 20:07:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 20:52 +0100, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Jeff Davis wrote:
> >> I'm not convinced that we should start adding syntax helpers like that
> >> to psql. For now it is an arbitrary subset of MySQL stuff, are we going
> >> to add oracle/db2/mssql/drizzle/mariadb and whatnot later on?
> >> Also I can already see people asking "well you already know that this is
> >> that command - why not emulate it fully?".
> >
> > Good points. However, it only takes effect in interactive mode, so I
> > don't see it as a promise to do much. I'll make an analogy to:
> >
> > $ git difff
> > git: 'difff' is not a git-command. See 'git --help'.
> >
> > Did you mean this?
> > diff
>
> well the actual output is just:
>
> :~$ git difff
> git: 'difff' is not a git-command. See 'git --help'.

Well, the actual output on my machine is what I put in the email.

That being said, I don't have much of an opinion, so if you see a
problem, then we can forget it. After all, we would need some kind of a
prefix anyway to avoid conflicting with actual SQL... maybe "\m"? And
that defeats a lot of the purpose.

Regards,
Jeff Davis