Re: xml2 still essential for us

From: "J(dot) Greg Davidson" <greg(at)ngender(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Lynn Dobbs <lynn(at)creditlink(dot)com>
Subject: Re: xml2 still essential for us
Date: 2010-01-15 22:37:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2010-01-13 at 09:12 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Given your interest in XML2, would you like to be come a maintainer of
> the module?

I'm wonderfully flattered by these requests. At the moment I'm more
than a year behind my schedule for the PostgreSQL-based system I'm
currently developing! When that's been released (as Free Software,
etc.) I will certainly be looking for how I can contribute back to the
PostgreSQL project.

One of my challenges has been the poverty of the documented Server
Programming API - which existing extensions seem to casually disregard
in favor of using all kinds of undocumented features like direct
function calls and caching - all of which I avoided because I want my
extensions to work in future PostgreSQL versions. I'm imagining that
some of these mechanisms could be added to the documented API - that's a
task which I could help with.

When I release my code I want to contribute back first by helping with
things which made my project unnecessarily difficult. I hope that
PostgreSQL's XML is in great shape by then, but we'll see!

PostgreSQL is a great tool and y'all are doing great work in maintaining
and improving it. The community has also been very helpful since I got
over my shyness about asking for help.

_Greg

J. Greg Davidson
Ancient Mariner of the C