Re: mailing list archiver chewing patches

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)toroid(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2010-01-12 16:38:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 10:24 +0530, Dave Page wrote:
> 2010/1/12 Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>:
> > So, I've decided to spend a bit more time on this and here is a proof of concept web app that displays mailing list archives reading from the AOX database:
> >
> > http://archives.beccati.org/
>
> Seems to work.
>
> > Please take it as an exercise I've made trying to learn how to use symfony this afternoon. It's not feature complete, nor probably very scalable, but at least it features attachment download ;)
> >
> > http://archives.beccati.org/pgsql-hackers/message/37
>
> :-)
>
> So just to put this into perspective and give anyone paying attention
> an idea of the pain that lies ahead should they decide to work on
> this:
>
> - We need to import the old archives (of which there are hundreds of
> thousands of messages, the first few years of which have, umm, minimal
> headers.
> - We need to generate thread indexes
> - We need to re-generate the original URLs for backwards compatibility
>
> Now there's encouragement :-)

Or, we just leave the current infrastructure in place and use a new one
for all new messages going forward. We shouldn't limit our ability to
have a decent system due to decisions of the past.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.