Re: Streaming replication status

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming replication status
Date: 2010-01-10 11:17:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 14:20 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 1/8/10 1:16 PM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> > * A standby that connects to master, initiates streaming, and then sits
> > idle without stalls recycling of old WAL files in the master. That will
> > eventually lead to a full disk in master. Do we need some kind of a
> > emergency valve on that?
>
> WARNING: I haven't thought about how this would work together with HS yes.

I've been reviewing things as we go along, so I'm not that tense
overall. Having said that I don't understand why the problem above would
occur and the sentence seems to be missing a verb between "without" and
"stalls". More explanation please.

What could happen is that the standby could slowly lag behind master. We
don't have any way of monitoring that, as yet. Setting ps display is not
enough here.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com