Re: pgFoundry Download URLs

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgFoundry Download URLs
Date: 2010-01-04 19:46:55
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 11:31 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> My $0.02:
>
> With the presensce today of Launchpad, Codehaus, SourceForge, Tigris,
> Java.net, CPAN, GEM, Developerworks, Github, Code.Google.com, and
> others, it seems silly for our project to be putting our scarce admin
> resources into maintaining/improving an outdated collab site. Let
> others do the work.

+1

> There's also a 2nd advantage to having the PG accessory project mostly
> hosted elsewhere: it makes us more visible to outside communities.

+1

> What we need out of pgfoundry is five things, none of which require a
> full collab framework, and some of which are really unrelated to the others:
>
> 1) a place for less offical mailing lists (e.g. non-permanent
> non-(at)postgresql(dot)org mailing lists) which can be created without the
> whole process required for a new "official" list. Note that many of
> these lists are not related to any code development project.

Not sure why this is needed, everyone of the sites listed above provides
mailing list capability.

> 2) a place for web pages/documentation for some projects (which could be
> a wiki, or something else)

Again, not sure why this is needed, all the sites above provide this.

> 3) a search and download service for postgresql accessories (something
> pgfoundry currently does a poor job of)

See Robert's remarks ala Freshmeat

> 4) a news feed for postgresql accessories (something pgfoundry currently
> does a bad job of)

Freshmeat style.

> 5) A place to store files for download for internal project use which is
> easier to manage than mediawiki's "images", and includes the ability to
> restrict files to a specific access list. Like (1), these files are
> largely not related to specific development projects.

This seems to be a request for something that doesn't really have
anything to do with the topic. You want a file manager? Set up SVN/GIT
or something.

In all, this coincides with what I and several others have also brought
up. We need to get out of this game.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.