Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Nikita Glukhov <n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size
Date: 2022-06-17 17:43:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I should have been more precise - what I meant was a timeout.c API that allows
> the caller to pass in "now", which in this case we'd get from
> GetCurrentTransactionStopTimestamp(), which would avoid the additional
> timestamp computation.

I don't care for that one bit: it makes the accuracy of all timeouts
dependent on how careful that caller is to provide an up-to-date "now".
In the example at hand, there is WAY too much code between
SetCurrentTransactionStopTimestamp() and the timer arming to make me
think the results will be acceptable.