Re: convert libpq uri-regress tests to tap test

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: convert libpq uri-regress tests to tap test
Date: 2022-02-23 22:58:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> On 23.02.22 21:30, Andres Freund wrote:
>> Where would we want that test to live? Right now we have the slightly odd
>> convention that some tap tests live in src/test/{misc,modules,...}. But
>> e.g. frontend binary ones are below src/bin/.

> libpq TAP tests should be in src/interfaces/libpq/t/.

> I think there were issues that the build farm wouldn't pick up a test
> located there, but that should be fixed rather than worked around.

That's failing to account for the fact that a libpq test can't
really be a pure-perl TAP test; you need some C code to drive the
library. I don't agree with intermixing such code with libpq
itself, independently of any buildsystem issues (which there
might well be). So I think the design of putting such tests under
src/modules is fine.