Re: alpha3 release schedule?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Hiroyuki Yamada <yamada(at)kokolink(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: alpha3 release schedule?
Date: 2009-12-22 08:34:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 19:11 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 20:59 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> >> I put them on the TODO list at
> >> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Hot_Standby_TODO, under the must-fix
> >> category.
> >
> > I notice you also re-arranged other items on there, specifically the
> > notion that starting from a shutdown checkpoint is somehow important.
> > It's definitely not any kind of bug.
> >
> > We've discussed this on-list and I've requested that you justify this.
> > So far, nothing you've said on that issue has been at all convincing for
> > me or others. The topic is already mentioned on the HS todo, since if
> > one person requests something we should track that, just in case others
> > eventually agree. But having said that, it clearly isn't a priority, so
> > rearranging the item like that was not appropriate, unless you were
> > thinking of doing it yourself, though that wasn't marked.
>
> This doesn't match my recollection of the previous discussion on this
> topic. I am not sure that I'd call it a bug, but I'd definitely like
> to see it fixed, and I think I mentioned that previously, though I
> don't have the email in front ATM. I am also not aware that anyone
> other than yourself has opined that we should not worry about fixing
> it, although I might be wrong about that too. At any rate, "clearly
> not a priority" seems like an overstatement relative to my memory of
> that conversation.

Please check the thread then. Nobody but me has "opined that we should
not worry about fixing it", but then nobody else other than Heikki has
suggested it is even a feature worthy of inclusion, ever. One person
agreed with my position, nobody has spoken in favour of Heikki's
position. However, I had already included the feature on the todo; it
was further down the todo before a second copy was added, second copy
now removed.

If you are saying being able to start Hot Standby from a shutdown
checkpoint is an important feature for you, then say so, and why.

Please also be careful that you don't mix this up with other
improvements, nor say "they all need fixing". This isn't a general
discussion on those points. There are other important things.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com