Re: alpha3 release schedule?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Hiroyuki Yamada <yamada(at)kokolink(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: alpha3 release schedule?
Date: 2009-12-20 19:30:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 20:59 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Well, that was the criteria I used to decide whether to commit or not.
> Not everyone agreed to begin with, and the reason I used that criteria
> was a selfish one: I didn't want to be forced to fix loose ends after
> the commitfest myself. The big reason for that was that I didn't know
> how much time I would have for that. I have no complaints about Simon's
> commit. Knowing that I'm not on the hook to close the loose ends, I'm
> very happy that it's finally in. (That doesn't mean that I'll stop
> paying attention to this patch; I will do as much as I have time to.)
>
> Regarding the bugs you found, I put them on the TODO list at
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Hot_Standby_TODO, under the must-fix
> category. I think they need to be fixed before final release, but
> there's no need to delay the alpha release for them.

Hmmm, well, if you are still paying attention you'll know that neither
of those issues are bugs in the code that was committed. One of them has
been fixed and the deadlock problem has a workaround applied.

That workaround, err... works, but I accept its not ideal. But then a
few things are not ideal and it does seem unlikely that every one of
them will have a perfect fix in the next two months.

I'll change the TODO page.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com