How to describe functions.

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to describe functions.
Date: 2009-12-10 21:39:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

I would like to write a single query listing all of the function
argument
types. I know that I can write a procedure but I would prefer a single
query. The problem is that in pg_proc, the column proargtypes is of the
type "oidvector", which is another name for an array oid[]. The types
are, of course in pg_type table. The problem here is the array
handling.
what I would really like is something like this:

select p.proname,(for($i=0;$i<p.pronargs;$i++ { t.typename where
t.oid=p.proargtypes[$i] }
from pg_proc p, pg_type t;

Of course, I am aware that this is a bad syntax but this pseudocode is
the best way to describe what I want to achieve. The issue is the array
handling.

VMS
Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA