Re: Page-level version upgrade (was: Block-level CRC checks)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Page-level version upgrade (was: Block-level CRC checks)
Date: 2009-12-02 16:08:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 10:48 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> Well, that's sort of a circular argument. If you're going to reserve
> space with a pre-upgrade utility, you're going to need to put the
> pre-upgrade utility into the version you want to upgrade FROM. If we
> wanted to be able to use a pre-upgrade utility to upgrade to 8.5, we
> would have had to put the utility into 8.4.

Don't see any need to reserve space at all.

If this is really needed, we first run a script to prepare the 8.4
database for conversion to 8.5. The script would move things around if
it finds a block that would have difficulty after upgrade. We may be
able to do that simple, using fillfactor, or it may need to be more
complex. Either way, its still easy to do this when required.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com