Re: Block-level CRC checks

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Block-level CRC checks
Date: 2009-12-01 18:27:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 13:20 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> > The hard core reality is this. *IF* it is one of the goals of this
> > project to insure that the software can be safely, effectively, and
> > responsibly operated in a manner that is acceptable to C* level people
> > in a Fortune level company then we *must* solve this problem.
> >
> > If it is not the goal of the project, leave it to EDB/CMD/2ndQuandrant
> > to fork it because it will eventually happen. Our customers are
> > demanding these features.
>
> OK, and when you fork it, how do you plan to implement it?

Hey man, I am not an engineer :P. You know that. I am just speaking the
pressures that some of us are having in the marketplace about these
types of features.

> red judgment on whether this is a feasible solution.
>
> Does $COMPETITOR offer this feature?

My understanding is that MSSQL does. I am not sure about Oracle. Those
are the only two I run into (I don't run into MySQL at all). I know
others likely compete in the DB2 space.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
If the world pushes look it in the eye and GRR. Then push back harder. - Salamander