Re: A test for replay of regression tests

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Anastasia Lubennikova <lubennikovaav(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A test for replay of regression tests
Date: 2022-04-02 05:10:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> cfbot found another source of nondeterminism in the regression tests,
> due to the smaller shared_buffers used in this TAP test:

This failure seems related but not identical:

https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=myna&dt=2022-04-02%2004%3A00%3A26

portals.out is expecting that the "foo25ns" cursor will read
starting at the beginning of tenk1, but it's starting somewhere
else, which presumably is a syncscan effect.

I think the fundamental instability here is that this TAP test is
setting shared_buffers small enough to allow the syncscan logic
to kick in where it does not in normal testing. Maybe we should
just disable syncscan in this test script?