Re: operator exclusion constraints

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: operator exclusion constraints
Date: 2009-11-09 19:35:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 18:03 +0000, Greg Stark wrote:
> Out of curiosity, is this feature at all similar to SQL assertions?
> What would we be missing to turn this into them?

I addressed that here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-11/msg00049.php

The exclusion constraint mechanism can enforce a subset of the
constraints that ASSERT can express; although the same goes for all
other constraints, because ASSERT is very general.

The exclusion constraint mechanism requires finding the physical tuples
that cause a conflict, so that we know when to wait and on which
transaction to wait. Otherwise, we have to wait on all transactions;
i.e. serialize.

The problem with ASSERT is that it expresses a constraint based on a
query, which can return arbitrary logical records after an arbitrary
amount of manipulation. So there's no way to work backwards. If we try,
we'll end up either:
(a) supporting only a tiny subset, and throwing bizarre errors that
users don't understand when they try to work outside the template; or
(b) deciding to serialize when we can't do better, and again, users
will be confused about the performance and locking characteristics.

Regards,
Jeff Davis