Re: Proposal - temporal contrib module

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>, hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal - temporal contrib module
Date: 2009-10-29 18:25:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 09:37 +0000, Richard Huxton wrote:
> There are cases where one time is genuinely unknown, and there we need
> a null.

The semantics of a period with one side NULL require a more clear
definition. I don't personally see a lot of utility in trying to support
NULL semantics, but if we want to support it, it needs to be clearly
defined.

Does TSQL-2 offer any guidance here?

> That's assuming we've got a guarantee
> that from<=to for all periods.

Of course. Except that means that a NULL on one side of a period is a
little less unknown than other kinds of NULLs ;)

Regards,
Jeff Davis