Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-27 07:21:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 14:13 -0700, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > Different issue, really, which is that some people (including me) would
> > like to break up PostgreSQL configuration into 7 or 8 files based on
> > functional area (e.g. memory.conf, logging.conf, custom_options.conf
> > ...). I do this with my Apache configs, and find it vastly more
> > manageable than one big file, especially under SCM. If I write a
> > config management tool, my tool will also do this.
>
> This actually seems like a bad idea to me. It's fine for something
> like apache virtual hosts where there's no ambiguity and in any case
> it's you organizing it and you reading it back out. But for a tool to
> do this is only going to lead to confusion when my thinking of where
> to find the variables differs from yours.

Right, but you'll notice that Josh already got his way into how the
current postgresql.conf is laid out and how the documentation is
structured. I can't find anything in the documentation anymore. Just
as a side note ... when we start giving people new ways to access the
configuration settings, they might also like a documentation layout that
matches their thinking.