Re: A bad behavior under autocommit off mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A bad behavior under autocommit off mode
Date: 2003-03-24 14:40:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> We can just say, "Don't alter the client encoding behind the back of the
> driver."

We can perhaps get away with saying that for client_encoding, but what
of DateStyle? "SET" has been the traditional way to adjust that since
the stone age.

It seems to me there is not a lot of distance between what I originally
suggested (transmit values of interesting variables at connection start)
and what we're talking about here (transmit values of interesting
variables at connection start and then again if they change). I'm more
than willing to do the small amount of additional work needed, if it
makes interface libraries' job easier.