Re: Parsing config files in a directory

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parsing config files in a directory
Date: 2009-10-24 16:51:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2009-10-24 at 18:34 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Did you look at the patch?

I did, yes. But no docs with it. It would be good to see the proposal,
not just the patch (or a reference to the written proposal from
earlier).

> That's basically what it does now, except
> it doesn't add a parameter in postgresql.conf. If you lkeave the
> pg_config directory empty, it will just parse the postgresql.conf file
> just like before, and that's it. only if you put something in the
> pg_config directory will it load it, and only *after* it has loaded
> the main configuration file.

OK, I didn't pick up on that. So now I like it, apart from one thing: I
would prefer to have explicit control over that (via the directive I
mentioned or otherwise), rather than just doing that implicitly. Doing
things implicitly will make it even harder for most people to trace
which parameters will get picked up and stupid mistakes will be made on
production servers.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com