Re: Client application name

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, "Eric B(dot) Ridge" <ebr(at)tcdi(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Client application name
Date: 2009-10-21 09:14:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2009-10-14 at 18:44 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 18:39, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> >> I've been following this thread closely and haven't seen mention of
> >> including the setting as part of the process name, so a 'ps' (on Unix) would
> >> display it. Thoughts?
> >
> > Isn't that cluttered enough already?
>
> +1 for pg_stat_activity but not 'os' output.

+1 to output application name in pg_stat_activity and also accessible to
pg_stat_statements.

We want to be able to set the application name *after* connection, so
that session pool users can be more easily identified.

Note that this *must* be set *after* connection, not during connection.
So for me, the ability to set the application name at connection time is
a related but separate feature - and a much less valuable one at that.

ISTM much of the complexity discussed relates to this second feature.
Let's just concentrate on getting the connection-pool-identification
aspect of this done right and then maybe add second part later.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com