Re: Concurrency testing

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Concurrency testing
Date: 2009-10-13 08:36:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 13:07 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> David Fetter wrote:
>
> > I seem to recall that there were some patches to get psql to help with
> > such things, but they didn't go in. Time to revive them?
>
> Yeah, the API they implemented wasn't ideal, so there was some
> discussion that ended up with a specification everyone was happy with,
> but then nobody got around to implementing it. Feel free to whack that
> patch and resubmit ... See in the archives around here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/8204.1207689056@sss.pgh.pa.us

I would hope that Concurrent psql can be revived. There were some
issues, but not really major ones.

The main requirement is to be able to specify multiple sessions of
activity from a single script. I would prefer it if we could do that via
psql. If we start inventing new features in other tools we get situation
similar to pgbench, which has some cute features, but they aren't in
psql, which also has cute features, but different ones. Fragmentation
wastes effort.

I think Greg's comments are correct but I would say "also correct".
There is no reason to have just one test framework. We need as many as
we need.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com