Re: Hot Standby on git

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot Standby on git
Date: 2009-10-06 07:31:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 2009-09-27 at 13:57 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> Per Simon's request, for the benefit of the archive, here's all the
> changes I've done on the patch since he posted the initial version for
> review for this commitfest as incremental patches. This is extracted
> from my git repository at
> git://git.postgresql.org/git/users/heikki/postgres.git.

There were 16 change patches included in this post. I have applied 14 of
them, almost all without any changes to comment or code. I've fixed 2
bugs and made changes where XXX comments were left in code. That leaves
0011-locks... discussed on another part of this thread and patch
0005-Include-information... which I'm discussing here.

It's a huge set of changes, all of which is just refactoring, none of
which is a bug fix of any kind. The refactoring does sound reasonable,
but is really fairly minor. I feel we should defer this change for the
future to allow us to stabilise the current patch. I do understand the
need for refactoring, but if we refactor everything touched by Hot
Standby then we will simply touch more code and trigger more bugs etc..
This is especially true with prepared transactions, which aren't well
understood and not covered by as many tests.

---
src/backend/access/transam/twophase.c | 96
+++++++++++++++++-----------
src/backend/access/transam/twophase_rmgr.c | 13 ----
src/backend/access/transam/xact.c | 64 +++++++------------
src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c | 5 +-
src/backend/commands/discard.c | 3 +-
src/backend/commands/sequence.c | 3 +
src/backend/storage/lmgr/lock.c | 5 +-
src/backend/tcop/postgres.c | 1 +
src/backend/utils/cache/inval.c | 90
src/include/access/subtrans.h | 3 -
src/include/access/twophase.h | 2 -
src/include/access/twophase_rmgr.h | 6 +-
src/include/access/xact.h | 6 --
src/include/miscadmin.h | 7 --
src/include/storage/proc.h | 7 +-
src/include/utils/inval.h | 7 ++