Re: Hot Standby on git

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot Standby on git
Date: 2009-10-02 12:40:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 13:52 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > I'd rather just skip this for now. It's a minor case anyway and there's
> > nothing stopping writing their own RunningXactData records with a
> > function, if it is needed. I can add a function for that.
>
> That won't help. There's no way to have it in a right place wrt. the
> shutdown checkpoint if it's triggered by a user-callable function.

I notice that you avoid saying "yes, I agree we should remove the two
checks".

I will add code to make a shutdown checkpoint be a valid starting place
for Hot Standby, as long as there are no in-doubt prepared transactions.
That way we know there are no xids still running and no locks, without
needing to write a record to say so.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com