Re: what comes after apt-get for a Debian installation?

From: Tim Bowden <tim(dot)bowden(at)westnet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: stafford(at)marine(dot)rutgers(dot)edu
Cc: PostgreSQL Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: what comes after apt-get for a Debian installation?
Date: 2009-09-25 03:05:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 15:39 -0400, Wm.A.Stafford wrote:
> I'm trying to install Postgres on a Debian machine. I did a successful
> apt-get. At this point I'm not sure how to proceed. I have seen
> several web sites with similiar instructions
> (http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/postgresql.htm), but I don't see anything
> similiar in the Postgres documentation.

The postgresql package in distros like debian automagically take care of
most of what is in documentation as far as installation and
configuration are concerned. There are a few changes however. By
default a compile from source will go to /usr/local/, but packages
provided by a distro will normally install to /usr/bin, /usr/lib or
thereabouts. Config files are also normally put in /etc/<packagename>.
The .deb package will have also taken care of creating the postgres
user.

> Question 1: what is the next step?

Give your normal user account relevant postgresql permissions.

as root (su - )
#su - postgres
#createuser <username>

Answer questions as appropriate (ie, do you want superuser privileges?
At the least, you'll probably want create database and probably create
user (or 'role') privileges). On a prod server you may want to grant
less privileges than on a personal dev system.

> Question 2: can someone recommend a documentation page that explains
> what to do?

See above ;-)

> Question 3: I'm totally confused about permissions. What portion of the
> install must be done as a linux super user and what can be done as a
> postgres user?

All .deb's need to be installed with root permissions, ie the 'apt-get
install <packagename>' bit. The debian packaging system will take care
of setting appropriate permissions and users as needed.

> Thanks for any help and/or guidance,
> -=beeky

Tim Bowden