Re: [GENERAL] trouble with pg_upgrade 9.0 -> 9.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Groshev Andrey <greenx(at)yandex(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] trouble with pg_upgrade 9.0 -> 9.1
Date: 2012-12-20 16:08:58
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> As you can see, ALTER INDEX renamed both the pg_constraint and pg_class
> names. Is it possible someone manually updated the system table to
> rename this primary key? That would cause this error message. The fix
> is to just to make sure they match.

> Does pg_upgrade need to be modified to handle this case? Are there
> legitimate cases where they will not match and the index name will not
> be preserved though a dump/restore? This seems safe:

It's not always been true that ALTER INDEX would try to rename
constraints to keep 'em in sync. A quick check says that only 8.3 and
later do that. I'm not sure though how a 9.0 database could get into
such a state without manual catalog hacking, since as you say a dump and
reload should have ended up with the index and constraint having the
same name again.

I'd be inclined not to worry about this in pg_upgrade, at least not till
we see a plausible scenario for the situation to arise without manual
catalog changes.