Re: New minor release?

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New minor release?
Date: 2009-09-07 19:37:51
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page píše v po 07. 09. 2009 v 10:09 +0100:
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Zdenek Kotala<Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > I try it on latest Nevada build and I'm not able to reproduce. Some bugs
> > seems are related to the Advanced Server which I don't have installed.
>
> Understood.
>
> > And of course I don't have Chines keyboard ;-).
>
> Copy 'n' paste is your friend :-)
>
> >> - The builds the QA team were testing are from our change management
> >> (CM) team. I believe they were using the Sun Studio compiler. At one
> >> point they were also using a custom build of GTK to work around some
> >> nasty bugs, the details of which escape me at present.
> >
> > It is good to know that GCC on Sparc is buggy and slow. I seen also that
> > some issue are reported on old S10 version. You should retest it on
> > latest version of S10 which is update 7. At least S10U4 contains libxml
> > which is required.
>
> Right - but our customers run older versions too, so we try to test a range.

the question if it is appear only on older S10 updates or on all. You
can try apply xml patches on S10U3 and try it again.

> > You can look
> > http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/sfw/usr/src/lib/wxwidgets/
> > We build it with the latest SUN Studio. For S10 we used older Sun
> > Studio. Both works fine as well.
>
> Hmm - I ran into some macro conflicts when I tried. I found some
> emails about the same on the wxWidgets list, which basically said
> there are conflicts with the latest headers from Sun Studio - from
> what I could gather this was to be fixed in wxWidgets 3.x, but in the
> meantime, the answer was to use an older Sun Studion (which I couldn't
> find for download) or GCC.

Yeah, I hit this problem as well. At this moment some build machine uses
old SS12 version and some new one (I tested it with old compiler
version), but next month all is going to switch to the latest one. I
need it fixed asap, else new pgAdmin will be removed from Solaris :(.
See http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/10660

The problem is with _T macro which has conflict with STL. something like
#undef _T in pgAdmin sources should help. I will look on it and I hope
send patch soon.

> I'll see if I can get a good build based on the opensolaris makefile.

Probably not if you have new compiler :(.

> >> - Most of these issues seem to be Sparc specific, and some are Solaris
> >> 9 specific (mainly the sizing related ones I think).
> >
> > Are they sparc specific because you don't have x86 Solaris 9 or does it
> > really problem on the Sparc build.
>
> Well some are Sparc 9 & 10, but not x86 Solaris 10. We don't support
> x86 Solaris 9 so haven't tested that.

I guess that Solaris 9 only bug is mostly GTK problem on Solaris 9 not
Sparc specific, but who knows.

> >> I was going to give these more attention when my hardware turns up,
> >> but if you can knock any off, or show they are something specific to
> >> CM's build/environment that'd be most helpful. In any case, all of
> >> these potentially affect community users, so I'd like to clear out as
> >> many as possible before 1.10.1.
> >
> > You can see how pgadmin is built on Solaris. I commit 1.10 today and it
> > should be visible tomorrow
> > http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/sfw/usr/src/cmd/postgres/pgadmin/
>
> I can only see 1.8 there - but the Makefile is there of course, which
> may be useful.

Hmm, I don't know how often it is regenerated. I guess that it should
appear soon.

Zdenek