Re: Should vacuum process config file reload more often

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Should vacuum process config file reload more often
Date: 2023-04-03 18:43:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> v13 attached with requested updates.

I'm afraid I'd not been paying any attention to this discussion,
but better late than never. I'm okay with letting autovacuum
processes reload config files more often than now. However,
I object to allowing ProcessConfigFile to be called from within
commands in a normal user backend. The existing semantics are
that user backends respond to SIGHUP only at the start of processing
a user command, and I'm uncomfortable with suddenly deciding that
that can work differently if the command happens to be VACUUM.
It seems unprincipled and perhaps actively unsafe.