Re: LWLock Queue Jumping

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LWLock Queue Jumping
Date: 2009-08-29 11:02:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 14:44 -0700, Jeff Janes wrote:

> I'd previously implemented this just by copying and pasting and making
> some changes, perhaps not the most desirable way but I thought adding
> another parameter to all existing invocations would be a bit
> excessive.

That's the way I would implement it also, but would call it
LWLockAcquireWithPriority() so that it's purpose is clear, rather than
refer to its implementation, which may change.

> I've tested it fairly thoroughly,

Please send the tested patch, if this isn't it. What tests were made?

> in the context of using it in AdvanceXLInsertBuffer for acquiring the
> WALWriteLock.

Apologies if you'd already suggested that recently. I read a few of your
posts but not all of them.

I don't think WALWriteLock from AdvanceXLInsertBuffer is an important
area, but I don't see any harm from it either.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com