Re: DELETE syntax on JOINS

From: Jean-Michel Pouré <jm(at)poure(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DELETE syntax on JOINS
Date: 2009-08-25 06:49:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> With proper foreign keys and ON DELETE CASCADE, why would supporting
> such syntax even be necessary?

Porting existing abstraction layers from ANSI JOINs to ON DELETE CASCADE
is complicated.

> What I don't get is why this is such a usability issue. Subqueries in
> DELETE FROM work perfectly well, and provide more flexibility than
> most
> users know what to do with.

The ANSI syntax allows deleting one or several tables at once.
Subqueries are not supported by MySQL on DELETE.

Again, this is a usability issue to gain market shares and happy users
againts MySQL.

Kind regards,
Jean-Michel