Re: Install from Source On Windows - University of Sydney Research

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Kushal Vaghani <kushalvaghani(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Install from Source On Windows - University of Sydney Research
Date: 2009-08-24 06:07:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 15:25 +1000, Kushal Vaghani wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have downloaded and built the 8.2.4 postgreSQL from source. This was
> done by running the build.bat file under src\tools\msvc. I do get a
> few errors with some contrib projects, but I do not care about them.

Why such an ancient version? Rapid improvements have been made in
PostgreSQL's Windows support, and you'll have much better results with
8.4 or even 8.3 .

> When i do install(install.pl), there is a destination directory
> created. Now my question is how do i run postgreSQL from within here.
> Is there a command line script etc. for this ?

Typically you'll want to create a service account for PostgreSQL, then
add a service that runs the postmaster via pg_ctl.exe under the new
service account.

If you're not comfortable doing that, perhaps you should be using the
binary installer for a recent version?

--
Craig Ringer