Re: That EXPLAIN ANALYZE patch still needs work

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: That EXPLAIN ANALYZE patch still needs work
Date: 2006-06-08 20:58:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So the timing is clearly responsible for the additional time I'm
> personally experiencing and very likely to be that for others also.

Well, that's certainly unsurprising, but the question is why it's such
a large overhead for you when it's not on other apparently-similar kit.

If anyone else is still following this discussion, could you try the
test case Simon gave a bit earlier (select count(*) from 100000-row
table, check \timing with and without explain analyze)? If we could get
a clearer picture of which platforms show the problem and which don't,
maybe we could make some progress.

(BTW, I just tried it on my Apple Powerbook G4, and got results in line
with what I get elsewhere. So I've now tried it on three very different
CPU types and OSes, and not duplicated Simon's problem on any of them.)