Re: [INTERFACES] Win32 interface

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Giffin <david(at)agent911(dot)com>
Cc: "Ken J(dot) Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Win32 interface
Date: 1999-09-03 14:40:51
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

David Giffin <david(at)agent911(dot)com> writes:
> Yep I'm using the PQconnectDB("host=blah user=blah dbname=blah");
> I noticed that psql.c uses the PQsetdbLogin maybe I should switch to that
> function if this one is broken? Would have to parse a little extra but..

Assuming that "mobile" is the hostname you gave it, then parsing the
connectinfo string is not the problem.

The error message is coming out because gethostbyname() is failing ---
cf. connectDB() in interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c. (Or, perchance,
it is succeeding but delivering a non-INET address? Seems unlikely
but if your LAN runs on non-TCP protocols then that's possible.)

My guess is that there is something broken with DNS name resolution
on your setup. Hard to tell what from this much info. You might
try making a one-liner program that just calls gethostbyname, and
work on debugging that simpler situation.