Re: Request for SVPUG mailing list

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Dan Bikle <dan(dot)bikle(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2009-07-23 23:40:57
Lists: pgsql-www

On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 00:37 +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 12:28 AM, Joshua D. Drake<jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> > They are 49 miles apart and based on average traffic, what 55 minutes?
> >
> > Nobody on this list would think twice about a Portland and Salem PUG and
> > they only 26 miles a part.
> >
> > Why is this an issue in the least? It makes perfect sense to have two
> > separate groups.
>

> I think it comes down to the people in those areas and what they want.
> I don't understand why you would want a Salem Pug, surely anyone 20
> minutes away from Portland would want to know about Portland events --

Shrug, if I lived in Salem, I wouldn't drive to Portland to go to a PUG.
Heck, I am only 60 miles from PDXPUG and I don't go.

> they probably live closer to those than some people in Portland!

Not really. Portland is actually quite small.

> The
> more you break up the groups the fewer people you reach with each
> event.

Well if you are going to have an "Oregon" event or something sure but
for just a PUG?

> I think the only real "issue" was that "sv" was considered a poor
> choice. It's neither self-explanatory nor likely to be unique
> globally. Notably people in Sweden might find it confusing.

I do agree that sv was bad. It is probably better to be called
sanjose-pug.

Joshua D. Drake

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997