Re: volatile markings to silence compilers

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: volatile markings to silence compilers
Date: 2011-03-17 14:56:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It appears the issue is mostly that the compiler is unable to prove
> that the variables aren't changed.

IME, older versions of gcc will warn about any variable that's assigned
more than once, even if those assignments are before the setjmp call.
Presumably this is stricter than necessary, but I don't know enough
details of gcc's register usage to be sure.

> My point is, are we hopeful this problem will ever go away?

Since we're trying to silence the warning in existing and even obsolete
compilers, whether it gets improved in future compilers is not terribly
relevant.