Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>, "Leif B(dot) Kristensen" <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?
Date: 2009-07-01 21:05:23
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, 2009-07-01 at 00:55 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Yes, I'm thinking this survey low-key, just News and a link in place of
> community/survey at this time. That way we capture some of the increased
> website traffic, but save the real survey blitz for when we have a more
> complete survey we can use several times. This one is a one-off.

I continue to have reservations, but since I'm involved in a company as
well, any objection I have to certain kinds of marketing is likely to be
seen as partisan or biased. Specifically, I want to show that I have
nothing against EnterpriseDB and the best way to show that is to step
aside. I remove any objection to the user survey going ahead now.

> Then when we get the full, complete community survey done we can blast
> it through the various e-mail channels and elsewhere. I do think
> getting it done by August 1 is ambitious though, especially if we're
> talking about a July 15 CommitFest.

The project needs a survey that is comprehensive, detailed, regular and
global, run by and for the community. I think we should start that on a
positive note, so again reason to withdraw. Dates are flexible but we
need input into the 8.5 dev process.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com