Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL for GPS Data

From: Erik Jones <ejones(at)engineyard(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Juan Pereira <juankarlos(dot)openggd(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL for GPS Data
Date: 2009-03-17 16:05:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Mar 17, 2009, at 4:47 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:

>> The question is: Which DBMS do you think is the best for this kind of
>> application? PostgreSQL or MySQL?
>
> As you can imagine, PostgreSQL.
>
> My main reasons are that in a proper transactional environment (ie
> you're not using scary MyISAM tables) Pg is *much* better about
> handling
> concurrent load, particularly concurrent activity by readers and
> writers.

Actually, following this comment it should be noted that if you were
to choose MySQL you'd pretty much be making a decision to *not* be
using transactions at all. The reason for this is that while InnoDB
does support MySQL's geometry data types it does *not* support indexes
on geometry columns, only MyISAM does which does not support
transactions. Call me old fashioned if you like, but I like my data
to have integrity ;)

Erik Jones, Database Administrator
Engine Yard
Support, Scalability, Reliability