Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Konstantin Gredeskoul <kig(at)dropinmedia(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Yum upgrade of PostgreSQL 8.4 from to rc1 rendered data unusable
Date: 2009-06-16 07:10:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 23:09 -0700, Konstantin Gredeskoul wrote:

> Still, I consider automatic yum updates for Postgres fundamentally
> broken, if they invalidate your database directory. A 2 minute
> update may cost an hour of downtime for someone who is not expecting
> this, like I wasn't.
>
> I have been installing postgres manually in /usr/local/postgres-
> <version>/ on all other machines, but on this machine I got lazy. Well
> now I know :)

As Scoot wrote: This is **not** yum's fault. It is your fault actually.
Even if you did this upgrade from sources, it would still be broken.
PostgreSQL does not guarantee not to change on-disk data structure
between development snapshots.

Also, please take a look at here:

http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/rpmchart.php

As you can see, I already marked 8.4 as not suitable for production,
which is already marked as the same by PostgreSQL developers.

I've been pushing RPMS for testers only, so please be careful when you
use any development PG packages next time.

Sincerely,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
Command Prompt - http://www.CommandPrompt.com