Re: Understanding the behaviour of hostname in psql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Marco Craveiro <marco(dot)craveiro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Understanding the behaviour of hostname in psql
Date: 2010-12-04 21:52:49
Lists: pgsql-novice

Marco Craveiro <marco(dot)craveiro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> i'm looking for some help in understanding the behaviour of hostname
> in postgres 8.4. apologies if this has been asked before; i googled
> but to no avail.
> basically: do i need to supply both the 127.0.1.1 ip address in
> pg_hba.conf as well as the actual ip address (say 192.168.0.5) in
> order to be able
> to always have trusted local connections? and if yes, whats the best
> way of dealing with DHCP?

Well, a connection to "localhost" will generally go to 127.0.0.1
(*not* 127.0.1.1 --- that's just a typo from some hand hacking
of your hosts file, I bet). A connection to your host name will
go to whatever the assigned "real" IP is (192.168.0.5 in your
example). If you don't have a stable assigned IP because you're
using DHCP, the best advice would be to always write localhost
and never bohr in your psql -h switch.

This has nothing much to do with Postgres specifically --- it's a
generic property of hostname lookup.