Re: Problem on PG7.2.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Roberto Fichera <kernel(at)tekno-soft(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem on PG7.2.2
Date: 2002-09-24 13:31:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Roberto Fichera <kernel(at)tekno-soft(dot)it> writes:
> At 10.40 23/09/02 -0400, you wrote:
>> I think you've got *serious* hardware problems. Hard to tell if it's
>> disk or memory, but get out those diagnostic programs now ...

> database=# DROP TABLE TS;
> ERROR: cannot find attribute 1 of relation ts_pkey
> database=# DROP INDEX TS_PKEY;
> ERROR: cannot find attribute 1 of relation ts_pkey

Now you've got corrupted system indexes (IIRC this is a symptom of
problems in one of the indexes for pg_attribute).

You might be able to recover from this using a REINDEX DATABASE
operation (read the man page carefully, it's a bit tricky), but
I am convinced that you've got hardware problems. I would suggest
that you first shut down the database and then find and fix your
hardware problem --- otherwise, things will just get worse and worse.
After you have a stable platform again, you can try to restore
consistency to the database.