Re: postgres 7.2.1 fails to build on Mac OS X 10.2

From: Drew Wilson <amw(at)apple(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres 7.2.1 fails to build on Mac OS X 10.2
Date: 2002-07-30 07:15:04
Lists: pgsql-ports

On Monday, July 29, 2002, at 07:56 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> At this point, changes for 7.2.* aren't especially interesting; could
> you check out the portability issue using our CVS tip or a recent
> nightly snapshot? (Since the Darwin semaphore support has been
> completely replaced in CVS tip, I'm not expecting that your patch
> will apply directly.)

Oops! My bad - I should have thought to look at the latest sources...

Yes, the latest top-of-tree sources compile just fine on Mac OS X 10.1 and
10.2.

I regret to have wasted my time and yours.

> I assume from your address that you work on OS X, so if you don't mind,
> I'd like to rag on you a little about known issues in the Darwin kernel.
> Does 10.2 fix the postmaster-shutdown-failure problem? Does it provide
> a less painful way of increasing the SHMMAX limit than rebuilding the
> kernel from scratch? (Failing that, could we at least get the stock
> SHMMAX limit raised to something reasonable, say a few hundred meg?)

I don't work on the kernel, nor even the OS proper, but rather tools for
Apple's localization process. However, I asked around and was able to get
an answer.

Yes, 10.2 now adds sysctl support for System 5's shared memory.

There is a setting in
/System/Library/StartupItems/SystemTuning/SystemTuning which has what you
want. Change this line:
./SystemTuning/SystemTuning: sysctl -w kern.sysv.shmmax=4194304

Thanks for your help,

Drew