Re: Multiple sorts in a query

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multiple sorts in a query
Date: 2009-05-19 20:19:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chuck McDevitt píše v út 19. 05. 2009 v 09:33 -0700:

> Solaris default malloc always uses sbrk(), and never ever tried to reduce the sbrk point.
>
> If you want a malloc that uses mmap, there is an non-default malloc that does that (libumem or something?)

There are severals memory allocator on Solaris. You can choose what you
need. See

mapalloc (it uses mmap insted of srbk)
mtmalloc (optimized fro multi threaded apps)
mumem_alloc
watchmalloc
bsdmalloc

maybe more.

What I heart is that standard malloc is not good, but it is still here
for compatibility reason with old application which depends on some
functionality.

Zdenek