Re: Useless "Replica Identity: NOTHING" noise from psql \d

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Christoph Berg <christoph(dot)berg(at)credativ(dot)de>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Useless "Replica Identity: NOTHING" noise from psql \d
Date: 2014-03-27 20:31:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 03/27/2014 11:56 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Also, there's the vcregress.pl business. The way it essentially
>> duplicates pg_upgrade/test.sh is rather messy; and now that
>> test_decoding also needs similar treatment, it's not looking so good.
>> Should we consider redoing that stuff in a way that allows both MSVC and
>> make-based systems to run those tests?

> Well, to start with people need to get out of the habit of writing tests
> in shell script.

What alternative do you propose? We have a policy of not requiring Perl
to build/test, so don't suggest that.

I'm inclined to think the problem with test.sh is not so much the language
that it's in, as that it's single-purpose. Maybe it has to be given the
nature of the pg_upgrade tests, but we should look for some generality.
I'd be happy if we had shell-based infrastructure on non-Windows and a
separate Perl equivalent for Windows, as long as we didn't have to start
from scratch for each special-configuration test scenario.