Re: Patch to fix search_path defencies with pg_bench

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Dickson S(dot) Guedes" <listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net>, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch to fix search_path defencies with pg_bench
Date: 2009-05-07 17:01:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 12:58 -0400, Aidan Van Dyk wrote:

> True enough... What about making the prefix be configurable, so by
> default, it could be "pgbench_", it could be set to "" (to force it to
> use old pgbench names) or set to "something." to get it to use a
> different schema (noting that the comparisons to older ones not doing
> catalog lookups are void).

Then you have to pass the prefix on the command line. That seems a bit
over doing it for such a simple utility.

> But by dropping the search_path, you're necessarily changing the catalog
> comparisons and lookups anyways, because your now taking a "random"
> search path to follow (which could have multiple entries in it) instead
> of one guaranteed to be a single, useable entry.

Except that it isn't a guaranteed usable entry, which is why I submitted
the patch.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997